Categories
Uncategorized

Opinion Editorial

Amarlis Vazquez 

September 23, 2019

ENGL 21001

Essay #1 

Opinion Editorial 

As a woman, I get judged for what I say and do. There have been so many instances in my life where someone judged me by what I have worn. In middle and high school, showing too much skin was not allowed. I went to a school that had a uniform and whenever we could where regular clothes, everyone freaked out. We tried to wear what we thought was going to be the most popular or cute enough. The girls wanted to wear skirts, dresses, and spaghetti strap shirts. Due to my body type, anything I did wear may come off as too much. I would have too much cleavage or my skirt too tight. 

According to the school system, “too” much skin meant not being able to show your shoulders or not being allowed to wear shorts above your knee. In the article, “Don’t measure a woman’s worth by her clothes”, the author, Dovas, explains that there is always a way to judge a woman by what they wear. They include images from a feminist campaign that explains that women are either prudes, old fashioned or more. The image the author includes is an image of a woman’s neck and down to where her bra is showing. In the link the author included, there are more images that campaign created.

I think the author wanted the audience to realize that this is an actual issue that occurs to women daily. She makes this purpose visible due to the language being understandable and not difficult.  

Women who show any kind of cleavage are seen differently than those that cover themselves. They are seen as promiscuous or loose. This is opposite for those who wear lots of clothing. People view them as prude. The older generations think showing skin as a woman is scandalous and not right. The article, “Don’t judge a Muslim woman’s dress choice”, the author writes that people judge Muslim women for what they wear. Those people even try connecting what they wear, to terrorism and national security. The author continues to explain that many Muslim women choose what they wear, and they are not forced, besides what people think. In Islam, there are some conservative people and think the women need to wear certain things by what they think is right. Muslim women should have a choice.

In a religious view, women cannot show skin or wear tight clothing because of it being a temptation for men. This has never been an issue for men. Men can walk the streets shirtless without it being questioned. For example, if a woman wears a sports bra in public, so many people will stare. Getting dressed for an interview or workplace is difficult for women because the dress or skirt you wear cannot be too tight and you also can’t wear anything too short. If you don’t wear heels or flats with your outfit you are underdressed. There has been this stigma between women of having to wear heels of some sort when they go to an outing. If you don’t wear heels you’re seen as not feminine enough or just childish. In the article, “Judged If You Wear High Heels, Judged If You Wear Anything Else” by name not mentioned, they write, “So, lemme get this straight. If you wear heels, apparently, you’re stupid. But if you wear the wrong kind of flats, you probably look like a little girl. If you wear practical shoes with laces, you probably look like a lesbian. It’s very difficult for a woman to dress herself in anything whatsoever without being judged by someone for it.”. People put this quota on the type of shoe women wear. This leads to stereotypes and wrongful judgment. A person shouldn’t be judged in terms of sexuality or liability by what they wear or what another person thinks of them. 

This goes as far as how big your heel is. For men, as long as they wear a button-down shirt, they are dressed up enough. Yes, men are also judged for what they wear but not to the extent of women. Women are either dressed over the top or not enough. Too much skin or too little. As Barsha Nag Bhowmick had said, “Judging a woman by what she wears has become that nasty cough people can’t seem to get rid of.” Women should wear what they please just as men do.  

Word Count: 735

Topic Reflection

If I were to submit this essay, I would try for the publication BUST, a magazine company aimed for young woman and centered around music, fashion, DIY, beauty and more. This publication would be good for me because the audience will be interested in my essay. They would relate heavily and maybe form their own opinions. They might take inspiration and spread the issue around themselves. It will help woman immensely. In this op-ed, I point out my purpose and ethos. My purpose is clear from the first paragraph. I state that the issue is being judged by what I, or women, wear. I further my claim, by including different quotes from those who agree with me. This is my ethos. It persuades my audience by proving my credibility. Including authors or articles with my same purpose proves that my purpose is reliable. My pathos come in when I mention my own experience. It shows that I can feel with the audience and we are able to relate to each other. It is visible that I am bothered by the judgment I receive, and it pushes my want to write this op-ed.