Categories
Uncategorized

Visual Essay

Amarlis Vazquez 

October 25, 2019

ENGL 21001

Essay #2

Visual Essay

My visual is targeted towards those who believe woman should not be judged by what they wear and disagree with societies view of women’s choice of clothing. This audience will be predominantly women who have been judged by their clothing. I want the audience to understand why this type of judgement should be stopped or at least controlled. It has made many woman’s lives difficult. It might’ve cost them a job or being misunderstood just because of their choice of clothing. Too much or too little. I would hope the audience would agree and would want to spread this visual to others so that others don’t feel alone. It will maybe help other, like younger woman, understand that what they wear does not define them. The genre’s that would make my visual more accessible and attractive to my audience are magazines, both physical and online, and articles. The articles would be descriptions of my visual and the purpose of it. The magazines would probably include just a small sentence or two of what my visual is. The easiest way to post my visual, is through social media. Everyone can easy access any social media apps like Instagram, Twitter or Snapchat. For example, if my visual were to be on Instagram, people who agree would like it so much that it would appear on the explore page. More people would be able to see it and share, maybe even post it on their stories or pages. It could be posted by an influencer to spread the image and bring awareness. People who agree with my visual are typically in the younger years, and most have social media

Word Count: 276. 

Reflection          

I chose a collage as my genre because it was the simplest way to show my argument. A collage or mood board have always been something that interests me. I have created many mood boards in my life because they represent things I believe in and work for. For instance, my current mood board has concepts that motivate me to graduate and find a career that I love. There could be simpler ones like the one I have made the one for my birthday, next year. Collages can be used for any type of purpose. It can be a collage of images of your family that represents the love you have for them or it could be used for academic purposes. For example, putting different concepts of a chemistry chapter, periodic table, beakers, microscope, etc., into a collage and it would help you remember the chapter better. My genre showed different types of fashion on women and that they should all be respected. I only had to use Google drawing and find images online or certain influencers that fit the look I was trying to convey. With this genre, my audience goes more towards women in the ages 14 and above. It’s towards those who do have their own choice in what they wear and are being judged for it. The reason this genre is perfect for that audience because it can something posted in a magazine or on social media. It would be spread quickly and something that’s too not wordy.  The point could get across fast. 

The rhetorical strategy I used was ethos, logos, and pathos. I used logos because the images I included forms an argument. It informs the audience of my view of a strong and smart woman. It informs the audience this because in the image, there are different woman of different skin colors, clothing and size. When I put the words in the middle, my argument is that all women of those types are beautiful and strong, which mean all women are. Because there are different fashion types of women on the collage/mood board, it shows that every woman is strong and smart. I use pathos because when the audience views my genre, they would be able to relate to at least one of the fashion choices that are in my collage. I think the audience would feel this was because when I was creating the collage, I was basing it off of fear and anger that I have experienced In my life because I have been judged by what I wear. Simply because I am a woman and a woman who has choice. 

Composing a visual essay is different from writing a traditional essay because in a traditional essay you are strictly writing based of a source or claim and those articles become your proof. In a visual essay, the main purpose of your essay is based off the composition you created. No visual essay will be the same as another student. They may have the same point to cross but their visual will not be the same. Compositions vary between memes, collages, a video or a photoshopped image. Every writing will be different. In my opinion a visual essay is more difficult. With a traditional writing, I can pull articles left and right that will support my essay. In a visual essay you are only talking about your composition. It’s more difficult reaching the page length and the fear of repetition is there.